Join Bicycle NSW for comprehensive insurance and advocacy.Join Us Today
Rail trails encourage independent kids

Rail Trails Encourage Independent Kids

And resilient communities We have written about how rail trails support regional communities. They do so by connecting people and towns, and providing an income stream through tourism which builds economic resilience. Strong communities are better able to help each other during tough times and benefit from the good. As the Northern Rivers continue to

Return Of The Child -Friendly City

Return Of The Child-Friendly City

Car-dominated streets damage kids  In an excellent Conversation article, Mischa Ketchell discusses the decline of cities as spaces for children and the joyous ‘Kidical Mass’ community pushback. Across Europe, streets are being reclaimed for a day as community spaces for walking and cycling. This in turn is persuading local governments and planners to reassess streets for

North Ryde to CBD By E-Bike

North Ryde to CBD By E-Bike

By Graham Marshall I started to ride to work in the city on a casual basis when I first moved to North Ryde about ten years ago. I was encouraged by the excellent bike path along Epping Road which made it seem safe and a good way to get extra exercise. After a while, I

Rural/farm road south west of Dalgety/Snowy River continued (Photo: courtesy Shoalhaven BUG)

Shoalhaven BUG Tackle Alpine Region

Unforgiving climbs and iconic Australian pastoral vistas Bicycle User Groups (BUGs) are local groups of bike riders who get together for social riding in their area.  Many BUGs also organise a longer trip away to destinations like the Alpine Region. Jindabyne and The Snowy Mountains are often targeted by endurance cyclists for their unforgiving climbs

Roll-on Bikes regional supporters at Platform 2, Central Station Sydney (Photo: Bicycle NSW)

Out With Boxing Bikes – Petition

Roll-on bikes on regional trains is years overdue! Dismantling, boxing and weighing bikes just to board TrainLink is a major deterrent to regional tourism. Cycle tourism will continue to prefer Victoria, NZ and Europe over NSW because an outdated TrainLink policy doesn’t support Roll-On Bikes on All NSW Trains. Bicycle New South Wales collaborated with

Ride to School Day 25% off Bicycle NSW Membership

National Ride to School Day

National Ride2School Day is this Friday 22 March and is a good reminder of some of the important considerations when riding to and from school. Being a safe rider can help: decrease traffic and noise pollution decrease our carbon footprint through a reduction in carbon emissions reduction in energy use encourage physical activity provides a

Better Streets Walk and Ride Participants gather in Herald Square before their inaugural walk and ride to Prince Alfred Park. (Photo: Better Streets NSW)

Better Streets Weekend

Better Streets coalition in partnership with Bicycle NSW, took to the streets of Sydney and Wollongong on March 4 and 5 to demonstrate the need for better walking and cycling infrastructure across NSW.  Better Streets Walk and Ride participants gather in Herald Square before their inaugural walk and ride to Prince Alfred Park. (Photo: Better

Jet streams in the early morning in Orange. Photo: Andrew Hopper

Orange Villages Bicycle Trail

April 17-23, 2022 Hi, my name is Andrew Hopper, and I had the pleasure of riding the Orange Villages Bicycle Trail (OVBT) over the Easter holidays in 2022. OVBT is a thoughtfully curated 400km loop around the central west of NSW, with most of the ride on quality secondary roads, both sealed and unsealed, and

A Better Street has space for people to linger and participate in community life. (Source: Better Streets)

Get Involved in the Better Streets Weekend

Bicycle NSW is excited to announce two Better Streets events happening this weekend in Wollongong and Sydney. These events bring together communities, advocacy groups, and politicians to promote safe and healthy streets that are accessible to everyone. A Better Street has space for people to linger and participate in community life. Traffic is slow and

The view over Middle Harbour from Edgecliffe Esplanade in Seaforth (Image: Ed Forrester)

Why I Decided to Commute to Work On a E-Bike

And why I love it! Environmentalist, Bicycle NSW friend and Arup transport planner Ed Forrester first decided to try cycling from Manly to Sydney’s CBD on National Ride to Work day last October. Previously, he had thought that the ride was unachievable. Firstly due to a lack of safe infrastructure on congested roads, but also