On 12 April, 2021 Her Excellency the Honourable Margaret Beazley AC QC awarded Ray Rice, previous Bicycle NSW CEO and Advocacy Consultant, with a Medal of the Order of Australia.
Order of Australia
This award is conferred for service to the Australian community that is worthy of particular recognition.
Ray's Service To The Community
In Ray’s case this included service to:
- Bicycle NSW members and bike riders in NSW, as its CEO 2015-16 and Advocacy Consultant 2017-20 where he worked to make cycling safer and more enjoyable
- The Bobbin Head Cycle Classic for 8 years, including as a committee member for 6 years, Ride Director for 2 years. This annual event sees 2500 riders participate and has raised over $1.2 million for various charities
- Wylde Mountain Bike Trail at Western Sydney Parklands, where he identified land and assisted in negotiations for the development of this facility that caters for over 1,000 riders per week
- Western Sydney Mountain Bike Club where he served in a range of leadership roles for 11 years and is a life member
- The NSW Mountain Bike Association where he served as treasurer for 8 years
- Mountain Bike Australia where he is an accredited State level Commissaire and he has received the 2011 “Volunteer of the Year Award”
- The NSW All Schools Mountain Bike Championships in 2009, an event he worked to establish that is designed to encourage school aged children into mountain biking by working through their schools, and over 2,000 children have participated to date
- The Rotary Club of Turramurra where he has been a member since 2006 and has helped raise funds, supported the Youth Exchange Program since 2005 with his wife Sue Rice, as program Chairs and counsellors, and as hosts to 25 students.
- Ray has assisted Sue with her work on the charity Jumbo Joy Flight for children living with a disability, helping coordinate volunteer Rotarians for 6 years to make this day special for children and their families.
- Ray is also a three-times recipient of the Paul Harris Fellow award for his tireless community service and Sue and Ray Rice have also received the District 9685 Service Award 2019-20
- Lindfield District Cricket Club as manager of his son’s team for 6 years and Junior Coordinator for 4 years where he helped increase junior participation and coordinated over 400 junior cricketers.
- North Shore District Cricket Association where he represented the Lindfield District Cricket Club for 4 years, was the Secretary for 2 years and oversaw the establishment of formal training of umpires. He has been honoured with an annual team award bearing his name.
- As Warden and Parish Councillor for 6 years at St Alban’s Anglican Church, Lindfield, managing all the Church’s properties.
The ceremony itself was a wonderful celebration of Ray’s service to the community and a really memorable experience, honouring his contribution to the community.
Bicycle NSW thanks Ray Rice OAM for all that he has done for bike riders.